The History of Caféière Beauséjour
The Habitation Caféière Samana Beauséjour, called Habitation Caféière Beauséjour or Gros-Morne dates from the end of the 19th century.
This house is the only testimony to the history of this property, the coffee dryer (boucan) having been totally destroyed during the passage of cyclone Hugo in September 1989.
This house is one of the oldest in Pointe-Noire. It faces East-West on a hill at an altitude of 295 m. It dominates the entire Pointe-Noire region, both on the Caribbean Sea and mountain sides.
In 1928, during the passage of the GREAT cyclone, this one damaged a part of its facilities and led to a decrease in its coffee-growing activity.
Formerly framed by its coffee boucan and its outdoor kitchen, the house has stacked galleries.
The walls and the frame are entirely of mahogany and courbaril wood, and the essentes (facade tiles) are of mountain guava wood. The traditional cladding is in country pear. The floors are pitchpin wood. The pitchpin is a conifer, native to Florida and the Mississippi basin, reaching on average 25 meters high and with yellow wood with reddish vein. Cheaper than exotic wood like teak, the pitchpin is used in cabinetmaking for the manufacture of fancy furniture and in carpentry for that of parquet floors under Napoleon III.
The main stages of La Caféière Beauséjour :
Around 1765-1775, the map representing Pointe-Noire indicates the existence of a modest dwelling, at the exact location of the current Coffee House. The owner indicated is Mr Dessources. He was Pierre Félix Gosse Dessources (born January 10, 1731 in Pointe-Noire), married to Cécile Millard on July 01, 1753 in Pointe-Noire. She died and the succession was settled between 1773 and 1779. According to research by Fond Parisis, the estate had 60,000 feet of coffee and 30,000 outside the estate. The main house has 60 squares and has 18 slaves. Cassava, peas and corn are also grown there.
A violent cyclone caused damage in 1776. During the division, the accommodation returned to 2 of the 3 sisters, one Marie-Catherine Cécile, a minor and single, the other, Marie-Magdeleine, wife of Séraphin de Blaine. It’s the husband who takes the farm lease.
It was not until the middle of the 19th century to find the trace of this house, through the succession of Mrs. Veuve Charles Lesueur, passing to her many children who sold portions in 1878 and 1879, as well as in 1884 and 1887.
In 1901, there were two heiresses, Aurélie Lesueur and Pauline Lesueur, wife of Pierre François Wilfrid Pagésy.
Aurélie sells her share (1/4) to the couple for the value of 4,000 Francs, which indicates that they are 4 co-heirs and that the Pagésy now own 50%. The domain is then 47 hectares. It is mentioned that this property consists of a main house and outbuildings.
During the 20th century, the property was bought by the Duflau family. Coffee production ceased at this time.
Housing listed p124 of "Patrimoine de la Guadeloupe"
HC editions 2017
Housing listed p30-31 & 40 of "Maisons des Antilles" par Michael Connors
FLAMMARION editions 2007
Housing listed p 164/165 of "La Guadeloupe et ses trésors - Le patrimoine archéologique de l'île papillon"
ERRANCE editions 2010